Samstag, November 11, 2006

Worries about Sarah

My best friend studies architecture at ETH Zurich, known as the hardest, most tiring subject you can possibly take. She's been working for a wohle year like crazy. Studing until 2 o'clock in the morning just to stand up at 6 and continue. 7 days a week.
She is terribly frightened of exams. Two months before the actual test, she's already hysterical and just can't cool down.
In addition to this, she lost last year her partner in latin dance and quit the scene, her passion of life. And yesterday, the guy she likes very much was to be found out that he has an eye on another girl.

Today, she got the message that she didn't make the exam. She failed in math class. Because of 3/4 points lacking.

Why is life so unfair? She really put her everything into these stupid exams. Having big hopes and vision. Dreaming of in the future she could leave the world a masterpiece of art behind. Talking about the colosseum and the akropolis.

And now? She's crying. Because of this stupid test, she's crying and full of doubts. And already afraid of the retaking exam next february.
"There must be more, don't you think?"
"I don't want to be forgotten! I want to leave something behind"
"I don't know what I really want for life anymore. I'm such a mess"

What is there I can help her with? And how can I help when I'm not sure whether I can fully understand her. Why does she want to leave the whole world something behind? Isn't it enough just not to be forgotten by the ones dear to you? And this not because you built or achieved something great but simply for the person you were?

Next weekend, I'm taking her someplace far away. We'll just get into a car, train or plane, I don't care. Just away. Maybe she can clear her mind a bit then.

Labels: